Quick Links: Home | Blank Space | Blank Space | Blank Space

Human Stupidity

My DSC-H1 had rekindled my interests in photography as it has opened to me many different ways to compose my images and take better photos. No doubt I managed to take some nice photos with my H1 but till date I have yet to capture one that makes me more satisfied than the ones I got from Sultan Shoal taken from my ice age P3. Being a digital guy, I started to go to some photography forums for some tips, advice and perhaps observe how some of them compose their images. Boy am I truely disappointed.

There are so many rich boys around town who knew so little roaming in the forum giving "advices" to newbies to emphasize one point - DSLR rulez, if you are into photography you need DSLR. These people seems to think that the most important thing in photography is getting the best and most important tools available. It's very likely when they are younger, they thought that dressing up in Armanis and Versaces will make them look good.

Some of the gems found there are as follows:

I am just upgraded from prosumer DC and purchase my first DSLR Canon 350D, with the kit lens i am very satisfied with the image quality and the great DOF.

This is not to mention that prosumer camera in most situation can't achieve the shallow Depth of Field that DSLRs can produce
DOF = Depth of Field, which is infinite with my H1 (and P3, and any consumer digital cameras) at wide angles. And I can also achieve nice blur results with my H1 too (see my bird photos). By the way, I also read that, the DOF of a DSLR is the same as our old 35mm film camera. (No wonder my primary school photos have so much bokeh or out of focus area.)

And they are those who brag about the DSLR can do this while other digital can't so DSLR is better. At the same time, they forgot about a lot of things DSLR can't do where an ordinary digital camera could - like take movie clips, portability and ease of use. Of course, I'm not saying that a DSLR is lousy, it just depends on why are you buying the camera for? To take good photographs or to brag about being able to take good photographs if you are in this situation? I just can't stand the crappy advices they give around there.
I agree with you, but remember the tehcnology have its limit, the big cmos sensor of DSLR and PS cam is diff, lets say the same photographer but use diff type of camera (DSLR and PS), I doubt it will produce same images quality from these two camera....dont to mention in under low light condition.
Do you know, a 12mp camera have enough pixels to print out at most to a size of 10"x14" (Slightly bigger than A4 size) at 300 DPI! And a 35mm camera converted to digital sense is actually a 25mp camera! For image quality, nothing beats film, and it could never will physically until, perhaps, you have quantum digital cameras.

Lousy digital camera with Bad photographer = Crappy photos
Lousy digital camera with Good photographer = Nice photos for your desktop wallpaper
Good digital camera with Bad photographer = Crappy photos that takes up 15mb of your card
Good digital camera with Good photographer = Nice photos for prints up to A4 size
Good camera with Good photographer = Nice photos that you can print as your wallpaper (for your wall, not your desktop)

All these reminds me of people driving BMWs but can't even do reverse parking properly. Having the best car does not make you a good driver, just like having the best camera do not brings you good photographs. My take is, get what you need, even if it is a Picanto it still brings you places.

Further readings.
How to make your H1 work to it's fullest potential
Film versus Digital Cameras
Seven Levels of Photographers (Humour)


Tagged:

0 comments:

Post a Comment