Quick Links: Home | Blank Space | Blank Space | Blank Space

Shaping My Beliefs in Education

Ok... everytime there's a test going on I must 'emo' a bit, but for totally different reasons okay. I can write about totally different things on tests, but actually they are all the same too. They reflect my beliefs in education. And my beliefs are quite simple, it's to learn how to learn.

Today, I also shared with my year 4 on some of my attitudes in learning. The stuff about quality studying instead of quantity. About giving in your best rather than forcing yourself through. About learning from mistakes and always keeping a positive attitude to learn. The biggest difference in learning is your attitude. I shall repeat one of my classic example about my belief in learning here to share with anyone who pops by and read it.

When given a set of problems/questions, I like it when I find that I do not know how to do it, because this gives me a chance to think of the problem, to look for the solution and most important of all, a chance to learn. Because if I don't even know what are my problems/weakness, I can't learn at all. So I rather that I get a problem set that I do not know how to do than to get one where I already know all the solutions too. Because I know which one gives me the opportunity to learn.
Of course, like Paul Erdos would have said, "this problem is too hard for one who is not ready". Looking for a good problem to learn from is an art, that maybe I could 'emo' about during the examinations.

At the end of the day, there are no boundaries in learning. Subject syllabus is just pieces of paper filled with words defined arbitrarily in a meeting of a few person. We concentrate on the content that will be examinable and conveniently forget about how to learn. After all, the test of life is not about your grades and we should learn to prepare for life too. Exams will be over in a few weeks but there are decades left in our lives.

(P.S. This post was prepared a few days back but due to lack of sleep I couldn't finish it until today.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment