Quick Links: Home | Blank Space | Blank Space | Blank Space

Of Compassion

I still remember that during the final courses at NIE before I graduated, there was one on Civics and Moral education and the facilitators asked us one by one what we want to teach our students except content knowledge.

Without hesistation, I said "compassion", because this is what is lacking in Singapore's leadership.

The recent elistist remarks from one RJC girl and her Member of Parliament Daddy's support for his daughter's basic point demonstrates that Singapore's leaders are truely disconnect from the average "heartlanders" and the less privileged citizens.

Our leaders tries very hard to project a compassionate image. One fine example is to install lifts in all MRT stations and make *gasp* manual platforms for wheelchair access on buses. (Germany has bus with hydraulic platforms for wheelchair access years ago). But given the current situation of peak hour rush and number of commuters per train to increase profits by another 1.0%, how beneficial would these lauded improvement be to those less privileged? What do you call an act of claiming to have certain beliefs but fail to really do so in practice?

Then came the sad stories of a man commiting suicide at MRT, followed by another in a month time, this time at Clementi. And who wouldn't be disturbed when they read articles like this talking about our very Singapore? Do those old folks deserve this treatment? We can spend millions (of dollars) to welcome foreign delegates but we can't improve the life of these old folks because Singapore is not a welfare state?!

I could never forget those touching moments at the rallies during this year elections, especially Yawning Bread's account of his experience which sort of agree with my own experience. A system based on meritocracy means that when you are old and not so useful, you will be left out, just what Mr Derek Wee feared when he reach 40 years old.

I might want the world to be a bit more compassionate, but yet I find it hard to practice it in Singapore. I wouldn't want to give up too much to affect my savings to settle down, pay for my car loan, finance my not so cheap hobby and future housing loan. I wouldn't want to give up too much of my personal time volunteering at the expense of my family, friends and rest time. It would be hard for me to drive the message across when I have double standards for myself and my students.

Life is not only about the money you bring home or to be the top in so-and-so rankings. I wonder when will I be compassionate...

0 comments:

Post a Comment