Quick Links: Home | Blank Space | Blank Space | Blank Space

Review of Sony DSC H1 (part 2)

Batteries
Digital cameras are beasts when it comes to the amount of juice needed to power it. Both my GP and Sony 1600mAh NiMH rechargeable batteries don't last long with this camera. I used up 4 batteries while playing with the camera on the first day and another 2 more subsequently. I took over 12o photos in that time so it lasted about 40 pics a pair. Perhaps the battery didn't last as long due to self-discharge as more than a week passed since last charged. Luckily, I have 5.5 pairs of NiMH batteries. (0.5 because one Sony battery was so old and rusted I had to discard it)

The 2300mAh NiMH batteries provided seems much better, the battery bar yet to drop after 20 shots. By the way, the free batteries are 2500mAh which should last much longer than any of my other batteries. Yet to try alkaline or lithium batteries since they do not recommend the use of those batteries.

Update 10/12/05: Battery bar still full after 80 shots or so. The 2300mAh battery seems to be able to last quite long.

Macro Mode
macro01
Program mode at 5 megapixels with low flash, resized and compressed.

macro02
Programe mode at 5 megapixels without flash, resized and compressed.

Macro mode is cool, I could see the dust on my Ferrari and water droplets on the can clearly. Even the reflection from the TV could be visible on the can. I think the resolution for macro mode could be smaller than 0.02mm per pixel. In simple words, I could take a photo of my hair and study the hair condition since our hair could be more than 0.1mm thick

Wide Angle Conversion Lens
nightshot normal
Twilight mode, resized, normal lens

nightshot wide
Twilight mode, resized, wide angle lens


Yes, I got a wide angle lens since I got a nice discount when I buy it with my camera. It costs S$250 originally and it did increase the area capture by about 80% just by counting the pixels to estimate. There is a problem with the wide angle lens though, something that I did not anticipate even when I tested it before buying. The lens covered the built in flash causing a shadow to form when taking pictures with flash so you will need external flash with the wide angle lens. (will put up a pic illustrating it soon).

Update 8 Dec 05: Shadow problem with wide angle lens

wide shadow 01
Wide angle lens casting a shadow on the image when flash is used.

Picture(7)
Picture(6)
DSC H1 with the wide angle lens attached.


Tagged:

0 comments:

Post a Comment