Quick Links: Home | Blank Space | Blank Space | Blank Space

Rising Costs of Living

Everyday I keep hearing stories about rising costs of living. Prices for properties on the rise, prices for COE on the rise. Even roti prata costs $1.50 now and to quote the friendly duck rice stall in Ghim Moh market after more than a month of renovation works, "Now no more 30 cents rice, only 50 cents rice" even though I just heard him said a minute ago to another customer "I never adjust my price, duck rice still $2.50". Jia Jia from Sheng Siong that used to cost $8.80 per carton now is on offered at the discounted price of $11.60. Petrol just increased by 5 cents per litre a couple of days ago. Of course, there's rising medical bills with the greatest increase at C ward patient even before means testing is put into place.

Heck, even trainee teachers are better paid now. A good $300 more than what I used to get in the past as seen from the MOE website. And it's pretty close to what I'm getting now even though I in my 2nd year of teaching as a trained teacher. I'm looking forward to the formal writing to whatever adjustments MOE would made to recently appointed teachers.

It's been quite some time since the cost of living increased so tremendously. I thought that a good economy means that people would become richer. But with everything on the increase, we might just end up poorer because we have to pay a lot more compared to the past. It seems like a no win situation for middle to low income folks like us.

At least I still earn enough to support my photography. And in the future, my wife and my family.

0 comments:

Post a Comment