Quick Links: Home | Blank Space | Blank Space | Blank Space

Physics and Finance

Now that 'A' levels are over, some maybe forced to consider their future really hard. If anyone wants to go into the field of finance, here's some gems from the Physics Education Workshop today.

1.) One of the top earners in finance sector is the risk managers. And the requirement to be a risk manager is not a MBA but a first class degree in Physics or Maths.

2.) The jobs most at risk during the recent meltdown are the brokers and bankers. But risk managers job are quite safe because banks still need them to assess risks.

3.) Physicists probably are to be blamed for the meltdown as the complex derivatives could be the results of the many nuclear/high energy physicists plying their trade in the finance sectors.

Of course, this is from one of the Professors giving a speech there... not from me. And is a personal opinion, I'm sure the economist will disagree.

To quote "I can't remember who and I'm too lazy to open my laptop to check", the cool thing about Physics is that when you write down a theorem that agrees with nature, nature will always agree with your theory. The same cannot be said about Economics theory.

Anyway, just google finance physics to see what the web has to say about Physics and finance

P.S. I took a module on Financial Mathematics in NUS and found it interesting, though I never followed up my interest because the subsequent module have their lectures at night since I'm more interested to spend my evenings with my then love interest than monetary interest. But I still have my book on Options, Futures and Other Derivatives by Hull if anyone wants a glimpse of what Maths has to do with Finance. (For Physics, just google Quantum Finance)

0 comments:

Post a Comment