Quick Links: Home | Blank Space | Blank Space | Blank Space

Shocking Parent!

Wow.. just look at the forum article today from Straits Times

Primary school trip to China: Answers sought from MOE
I AM the parent of an 11-year-old girl. The school is planning an immersion trip to Nanjing, China. The purpose of the trip is to allow children to learn Chinese in a Chinese environment, and to let Singaporean students experience the Chinese learning methods.

I support such initiatives. After the major earthquake in Sichuan in May, I asked my daughter to find out if the school and living quarters were structurally sound, built by reputable construction companies and can withstand earthquakes and tremors.

I am surprised to hear that the trip is going ahead even though I have not received the full answers to my questions.

My questions to the Minister for Education are:


  • First, when planning for such immersion trips, does the ministry instruct all school principals to conduct mandatory checks that the living quarters and schools in which our children will be staying are structurally sound, built by reputable construction companies and can withstand earthquakes and tremors? If not, why not?

  • Second, in the unfortunate event that another disaster occurs, will the Ministry of Education or the school principal be responsible for this 'oversight'?

    We have lost lives due to accidents and lack of systematic checks.

    Our Government has always stressed that every life is precious in a country where there is a shrinking birth rate.

    I hope to see the exercise of due diligence in ensuring the safety of Singaporean children, with whom Singapore's future lies.

    Cheong Weng Kit

  • Just how do MOE ensure the standards of all things overseas is beyond me totally. Perhaps we are so used to the Singapore style of working (with plenty of certifications) that some of us believe that others do things the same way too. It will be a great insult if you come to my house and before entering, ask if my house is built by reputable contractors otherwise I won't come in because it may collapse in an earthquake.

    I hope I won't lose my senses when I have my own child in the future.

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment