Quick Links: Home | Blank Space | Blank Space | Blank Space

Camera Banter - Sony Alpha Family

Alpha_lenses_2_lg
The current Sony line-up. The entry level A200, A300, A350 which replaces the A100 and the enthusiast level A700 together with Sony brand lens. Image courtesy taken from Sony

In the middle of 2006, Sony introduced its first dSLR camera, the Sony Alpha A100. I bought my first dSLR almost as soon as it was released because I wanted to upgrade from my H1. It was the only camera brand with built-in stabilization and comes with millions of legacy lens from the Minolta era that Sony took over. Sony started with 19 lenses (mostly Minolta lens) with 3 Carl Zeiss lens announced but took some time to roll out.

Little less than 2 years later, Sony now has 5 cameras and 26 lens (info here), of which 4 are premium grade Carl Zeiss lens (16-80mm f3.5-4.5 DT, 24-70 f2.8, 85 f1.4, 135 f1.8) and 4 professional grade G lens (35 f1.4, 70-200 f2.8 ssm, 300 f2.8 ssm and 70-300 f4.5-5.6 ssm). Including special lens like the 135mm f2.8 (T4.5) Smooth Transition Focus lens and the world's only autofocus 500mm f8.0 mirror lens. In addition, we have seen preview of at least 5 more lens and one full-frame Professional grade body coming up soon and a new flash announced too. Now, everybody takes Sony seriously in the camera business, even Sigma is offering more Sony mount lens.

Why this post? Because I'm sick and Sony announced the new A300 and A350 live-view dSLR cameras with an innovative implementation to live-view that seems to be better than competing brands as it effectively brings the viewfinder view to the LCD screen. Plus I got plenty of time to surf around and read all the reactions to the new cameras. And I'm reviewing the photos I have taken for the past 6 months so I can develop them in time for CNY sharing. Besides, I got nothing to do at home (until I bring my laptop home that is)

I like to take photographs, and I'm happy there's more than 30 photos featured in the 2007 yearbook and couple of others in various school publications over the year. But I believe of the 30,000+ photos I have taken with my Alphas so far, most are school related. And after reviewing those that aren't, the number of 'good' photos I have taken dropped compared to the H1 days. Due to my higher expectations and lesser time for photography trips. Ever since the orientation ended, my Alphas are sitting in the dry cabinet most of the time as the school term starts.

There are so many things I want to achieve in life, and taking good photographs is one of them

0 comments:

Post a Comment