Quick Links: Home | Blank Space | Blank Space | Blank Space

Back From Cambodia!

Will probably take years to sort out the pictures that I took. Still converting them from raw format using my pc and laptop. But here's THE photo that I like best taken at Angkor Wat, one of the great ancient wonders of the world.

DSC02162
Buddhist monk at Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat is filled with tourists nowadays and the ancient site is under a lot of restoration works. To take a wide angle photo without any tourist is next to impossible. But luckily, there are many hidden corners and alleys here and there for me to venture. I took this shot as I explore the back alleys of Angkor Wat, a spot missed by most tourists. When I saw the monk standing at the edge about a few stories high, I just grab my camera with my 75-300mm el-cheapo telephoto lens and took a couple of shots before he went back inside.

Why this photo is appealing to me is because this photo is both aesthetically pleasing and at the same time tells the story of Kampuchea, or Cambodia, A Buddhist country proud of its history, where most of its people are happy living a simple life. When I look at this photo, I feel something towards it and it will remind me of the people, the place and the time I spent there. The colours are rich and simple. The vertical pillars, tree, rooftop patterns and monk form an interesting comparison with the horizontal platform and rooftop. Furthermore if you take away his shoes and mineral water bottle, this picture could be taken 100 years ago, even 500 years ago. This picture makes the whole trip worthwhile.

Could I have taken this with my H1, most likely the answer is most probably yes. As long as the dynamic range of the H1 is able to keep up with the scene, this shot could be taken using my H1 too by zooming in. This shot is about being at the right place at the right time so you could do it with any camera as long as it can zoom to frame the shot since I'm pretty far away from the monk.

0 comments:

Post a Comment