Quick Links: Home | Blank Space | Blank Space | Blank Space

Gracious Society

Two weeks ago, I took a train to City Hall to meet my friends from university, who all happened to teach or will be teaching soon. I remember that in the past, not so distant past, but more like the 90s past, I could always find a seat at the MRT station near my house if I walk towards the end of the stations during off peak hours. Now, I stand a better chance of finding a comfortable standing position if I walk towards the end. Hey, I just live a couple of stops away from the end of the line!

What's happening to Singapore!!? On one hand we keep reminding Singaporeans to be gracious, polite and kind but on the other hand the conditions totally encourage people to be rude, short tempered and ugly. While SMRT churns in larger revenues and stockholders get bigger payouts. Yes, we may have handicap access to the MRT, but who on wheels could squeeze into the train, especially during peak hours?!

In this profit driven private company that almost monopolise the public transport, I don't think we could achieve an inclusive society in practice. Not happy? There's always taxi you know? SMRT taxis.

0 comments:

Post a Comment