Quick Links: Home | Blank Space | Blank Space | Blank Space

Random Photography Banter

Sucre knows me, every once a while I would rattle randomly about cameras and photography, about the upcoming new and exciting stuff or about how I learned a new technique or trick to do photography. Recently there's more reasons for me to rattle non-stop.

Reason One: Sony dSLR Alpha 100

More than one month ago, I was drooling for the Alpha 100 and even stated my own dream kit lens setup that I would aim for at the corresponding estimated introduction price of about S$1946. Now the official Singapore prices for Alpha 100 is out. It's going to be S$1499 for body, $1799 for one kit lens and S$2099 for two kit lens set. Much higher than the American prices. And if I order the one kit lens set and mail it from US, it costs a total of about USD$1050 or roughly S$1680 and I can "save" at least S$100 . But local market price should be about S$100 or more lower than the list price with plenty of freebies so I won't have to worry about that. But at least I know I could order my lenses overseas from reputable dealers.

Another recent event for the Sony Alpha 100 is that the cameras have reach the markets already! Some users over at dpreview had got their cameras and it's also in store in China. So I will be waiting anxiously for the final review to be posted to see how good or bad the camera can be. Which will most likely be the next time I start a random banter.

Order your A100 from Sonystyle here

DSCF1285
Indian tailor for Chinese clothes? Taken with the Fuji F11 while shopping for ethnic clothings for Racial Harmony day.

Reason 2: New Nikon dSLR in 20 - 2 days

Nikon had started a new teaser campaign for a D70 replacement dSLR line-up. As Nikon is a more established dSLR brand in Singapore, if this new dSLR proved interesting and value for money (I want image stabilization!), this new dSLR may push me to become a Nikonian. I might just get a D50/D70 2nd hand while waiting for the new camera before selling it away. Who knows. Getting a Nikon means I would have plenty of options in buying or selling second hand lenses and bodies. But getting a Nikon or Canon on your shoulder may be a bit too common for my liking.

DSC05670
Yellow hibiscus of NUS, taken with the orange hibiscus posted some time back. But I find orange more pleasing so I held back the yellow one till now as a filler for my random banter. Taken with the Sony H1.

Reason 3: Sony K800i cybershot phone hits the market

Finally, a camera phone that is a camera more than a phone. Even sucre cannot stand the poor quality camera in our handphones. Now some guy wrote a review of this camera and did prints up to 5R (5" X 7") and the results are pleasing to him. Sure, the camera can't perform in low light situation but the day time shots look pretty with the 35mm prime lens. The level of image distortion is low even compared to dSLR with kit lens. If this 3.2mp K800i can do as well as my old 2.8mp P3, I would be delighted to own one as my next handphone. But I will wait till next year, when my contract is almost over and my K700i is failing me and the K800i can be bought for less than S$200 with contract then I will switch over.

DSC05673
Close up of the yellow hibiscus flower. Taken with the Sony H1 with macro lens attached.

Looking forward to Christmas shopping already.
P.S. Sucre, I need a dSLR or a Sony R1 to do nice nice portraits. And I need at least 3 months to learn the techniques before your graduation. Then I can be your photographer. (Which means I may need a proper flash system for day time fill flash and night shoots, fingers crossed)

0 comments:

Post a Comment