Quick Links: Home | Blank Space | Blank Space | Blank Space

prosumer

I'm doing some research on which prosumer digital camera should I get to replace my almost 4 year old DSC P3. Digital camera technology had made huge leaps since I bought my last camera. My camera of choice initially was the DSC F828 but it is discontinued and replaced with DSC R1 instead. Sadly, R1 did not have video recording capability which is something I will definitely need. D-SLR would involved too much investment, I would rather have a camera that can do most of the work without the need to change lens.

As I owned a Sony DSC P3, there is a tendency for me to get another Sony camera (despite recent problems Sony have in the music industry) since I have memory sticks and card readers ready. But there are other brands that offer very attractive cameras (at least on paper) that is worth a second look.

On the top of my consideration will be the price-tag. I need to buy clothes and save up moolah for my wife and mistress (a.k.a. car) in the near future so I can't blow my year end bonus on boy toys alone. Unless I get a big fat bonus (one that is not prorated), cameras over S$1,000 are over my little budget. Hence cheaper cameras scores a point here (highlighted in yellow)

Shutter speed, aperture priority and manual tweaking of these settings are important to me to take nice photos, especially at low lighting conditions (which happens to be my favourite). However, all prosumer cameras included these aspects hence there is no need for comparison. The only part worth noting is white balance, which is an issue indoors. But I don't know too much in this area so nobody scores here.

Next, I want large megapixels, outrageous zoom and the widest angle without conversion lens. Samsung Pro815 seems to fit the bill, though the price tag doesn't. How about larger ISO for action packed photos or smaller ISO for bright daylight pictures? I will also need a macro mode to take nice closed-up photos of nature (usually the armies of ants feasting on my leftovers).

Rechargable lithium batteries may last up to 2 hours but can't compared to the endless supply from easily available AA batteries. But how long could AA NiMH battery last on a camera before the next recharge?

There are so many things to consider. Maybe I should just get the camera with the most freebies and save all the trouble.

Erratum: DSC H1 costs S$799 instead of S$729 since last checked

Tagged:

1 comments:

At 8:10 pm Anonymous said...

Get the FZ30. Its the best mega-zoom at the moment, if you can overlook its noisy output. Can get for slightly above $1K at Alan Photo.

 

Post a Comment