Quick Links: Home | Blank Space | Blank Space | Blank Space

As of last week Streetdirectory.com, the local online street directory is charging you for their services. In other not so related news, Straits Times Interactive, the online version of the local broadsheet newspaper have already done that 3 months ago. The charges are as follows:-

mustpay
More than one smart alex think that it is a good idea to charge $ for a service that used to be free.

Oh.. one thing they didn't mention is that the price listed above excludes 5% GST. They must be nuts or something to charge money for calculating how far I jog in my park? And where's the wisdom in the minimum 3 trips for mileage claim? If you think Straits Times was crazy to charge readers for ST Interactive, then Streetdirectory.com must have redefined the word "Siao".


whypay
Yes, why should I pay? Especially when you never include GST in your explanation for the infinite% price hike.

People go to streetdirectory.com because it is more convenient than searching for directions on the hardcopy one. Besides I keep my latest copy in the car so it's "lehchey" to go collect the map up. Now you need to either pay via SMS (lehchey and you need to pay for the SMS also) or pay by buying some SD Card that can only be used to pay for Streetdirectory.com services (Min S$10). So if I want to find out how to go from my house to BLSS then I will need to either fork out S$10 to sign up for the card and compulsory membership via Credit Card to pay for the S$0.63 they are going to charge me cause I am too lazy to go get my map. I need to exercise man!

On the plus side, they are giving you 11SD dollars for every S$10 you pay for the SD card during the promotion so you can get more from Streetdirectory.com with less. It's better than last time which is free so hurry and sign up now! But if you cheapo free loader still want their free services, go and check out their latitude and longitude convertor which will be free till July so that you can calibrate your homing missiles accurately.

What's next, Online Coxford Dictionary charges for people to use their dictionary?

Tagged

5 comments:

At 4:12 am L'oiseau rebelle said...

Came by here through Tomorrow. My first response was ?!?!?!?!?!?!? Here in US we can get detailed directions from Augusta, Maine to San Diego, California free of charge online, and they actually think that people are going to pay to find out how to travel from Pasir Ris to Boon Lay???

 
At 9:23 am Anonymous said...

google should map singapore

 
At 9:40 am Mastermind said...

Perhaps the problem with Singapore is that there isn't a competitor when it comes to street maps. And I doubt there will ever be given the authoritative governance here. That's why streetdirectory dared to charge for their services.

 
At 12:47 am Anonymous said...

got competitor... can.com.sg!

 
At 10:06 am Mastermind said...

I've seen can.com.sg they don't come with maps so I will still need my hardcopy of streetdirectory with me. Well it's better than nothing though.

 

Post a Comment